Courage is undoubtedly a virtue of great leaders, in the world and in the workplace.*
So without further ado, here (in alphabetical order by author) are 15 great quotes about courage:
- “One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.” – Maya Angelou
- “The truth is: Belonging starts with self-acceptance. Your level of belonging, in fact, can never be greater than your level of self-acceptance, because believing that you’re enough is what gives you the courage to be authentic, vulnerable and imperfect.”– Brene Brown
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill (attributed)
- “Courage breeds leadership.”– Nikki Haley
- “Courage is willingness to take the risk once you know the odds. Optimistic overconfidence means you are taking the risk because you don’t know the odds. It’s a big difference.”– Daniel Kahneman
- “Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.”– John F. Kennedy
- “From caring comes courage.”– Lao Tzu
- “It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.” – Ann Morrow Lindbergh
- “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”– Nelson Mandela
- “With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.”– Margaret Mitchell
- “Part of courage is simple consistency.”– Peggy Noonan
- “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – J.K. Rowling
- “He who is brave is free.”– Seneca
- “Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.” – Robert Lewis Stephenson
Here’s one more, just for fun:
“Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them.” – Jim Davis (creator of the Garfield comic strip)
Do you like any of these quotes in particular? Do you have a favorite quote to add about courage?
Let us know.
As always, we appreciate your views.
Like quotations? Download our new ebook, Quotations for Servant-Leaders. It’s free!
* What are the virtues of a great leader including, of course, a servant-leader? Check this out: “3 Cardinal Virtues of a Servant-Leader”