Generosity is one of the three cardinal virtues of a servant-leader.*
Service is a true expression of generosity.
So, I hope you will enjoy these (in alphabetical order by author) 15 great quotes about generosity:
- “We can only be truly generous when we expect nothing in return.” – Muhammad Ali
- “That’s what I consider true generosity: You give your all, and yet you always feel as if it costs you nothing.” – Simone de Beauvoir
- “Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present.” – Albert Camus
- “You make all kinds of mistakes, but as long as you are generous and true and also fierce, you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her.” – Winston S. Churchill
- “Rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.” – Anne Frank
- “The more one forgets himself – by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love – the more human he is.” – Viktor E. Frankl
- “Conquer the angry one by not getting angry; conquer the wicked by goodness; conquer the stingy by generosity, and the liar by speaking the truth.” – Siddhārtha Gautama, the Buddha
- “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “The wise man does not lay up his own treasures. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own.” – Lao Tzu
- “Those who give hoping to be rewarded with honor are not giving, they are bargaining.” – Philo of Alexandria
- “Giving back involves a certain amount of giving up.” – Colin Powell
- “When people get scared, they quit giving.” – Dave Ramsey
- “Think of giving not as a duty but as a privilege.” – John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
- “The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.” – Fred Rogers
Here’s one more, just for fun:
“Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.” – Doug Larson
Which of these quotes do you like best? Do you have a great quote about generosity to add?
Let us know.
As always, we appreciate your views.
And don’t forget to download our latest ebook, Servant Leadership in the Workplace: A Brief Introduction. It’s free!
More on generosity of servant-leaders in the workplace: “Servant-Leaders Give the Gift of Time”