Humility is a cardinal virtue of servant-leaders in the workplace.*
So, without further ado, here (in alphabetical order by author) are 15 great quotes about humility:
1. There is no respect for others without humility in one’s self. – Henri-Frédéric Amiel
2. Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance. – Saint Augustine
3. Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast. – Jane Austen
4. In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet. – Winston Churchill
5. Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues. – Confucius
6. Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
7. A great man is always willing to be little. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. If anyone tells you that a certain person speaks ill of you, do not make excuses about what is said of you but answer, “He was ignorant of my other faults, else he would not have mentioned these alone.” – Epictetus
9. I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men. – Lao-tzu
10. True humility does not know that it is humble. If it did, it would be proud from the contemplation of so fine a virtue. – Martin Luther
11. The greatest wisdom consists in knowing one’s own follies. – Madeleine de Souvré
12. We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility. – Rabindranath Tagore
13. No one is so sure of his premise as the man who knows too little. – Barbara W. Tuchman
14. True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less. – Rick Warren
15. Humility is attentive patience. – Simone Weil
Let me add one more to entertain you:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left. – Oscar Levant
OK, one more:
If I only had a little humility, I’d be perfect. – Ted Turner
Do you like any of these quotes in particular? Do you have a favorite quote about humility to add?
Let us know.
As always, we appreciate your views.
And download our latest ebook, Servant Leadership in the Workplace: A Brief Introduction. It’s free!
* Enjoy these posts on the subject of servant leadership and humility: